Now Hiring: Chief of Staff
Are you passionate about making a difference for biodiversity and people? Are you an innovator and excited to develop sustainable, locally-led solutions? Join Legado and help create the future of integrated approaches with a group of internationally recognized biologists, social scientists, development experts, and conservation entrepreneurs with opportunities to advance and learn at a global scale.
- Legado is an innovative, women-led organization working together to design and implement an effective and sustainable collective action model to drive locally-led solutions for indigenous peoples and local communities (IPLCs) on the front lines of climate change.
- We work alongside IPLC’s in places important for biodiversity to ensure they have the tools, resources, and partnerships they need to design and implement solutions of their choosing that benefit both their communities and landscapes—an outcome we call Thriving Futures.
- We’re a U.S.-based nonprofit currently working in Mozambique and Northern Kenya and expanding into Peru at the end of 2022.
- We are a values-driven workplace and align our work and team culture around living legacy, connecting human-to-human, seeing everyone as a leader, creating a culture of integrity, and using transformation as a strategy.
This position will be full time (40 hours/week). The Chief of Staff will work both independently and collaboratively with local and international teams. The position will be as follows: strategy and organizational development (40%), organizational support (35%) and operations (25%) and a suite of unicorn-like abilities to catalyze legacy to create Thriving Futures (100%).
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to operate as both a generalist and a specialist
- A talent for high-level and strategic thinking, synthesizing complex information, and communicating complicated information in a straightforward way
- The ability to work efficiently and help teams get projects over the finish line
- High capability to work agilely and dynamically
The ideal candidate has a selection of the following in that they meet at least one (ideally more) of the following criteria:
- A minimum of 10 years experience in the development and/or conservation sectors with a preference for a background in social change organizations
- A minimum of 10 years in leadership roles and experience managing remote, culturally diverse teams
- Facilitation expertise and a minimum of 5 years working closely with indigenous peoples and local communities (IPLCs), preferably in Africa or Latin America.
- A minimum of 5 years in leading strategy and scaling and monitoring impact for organizations
In addition, candidates should have:
- 10 -15 years of progressive responsibility during which candidate demonstrated a high degree of initiative and experience being a generator of initiatives
- Deep experience with presenting and reporting on impact, cultivating and stewarding partnerships and donors, and grant writing
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally, as needed, to help drive Legado’s work and partnerships
- Education in a relevant field with a preference for an advanced degree
- Fluency in English; fluency or proficiency in Spanish and Portuguese is highly desired
Annual salary will be commensurate with experience..
The Chief of Staff will be based at a home office with the ability to focus at least 75% of their time around standard work days in the GMT-4 time zone. S/he will travel occasionally to Legado events in the US and to program sites in Kenya, Mozambique, and others.
Why Should You Apply?
- Opportunity to help co-create a new locally-led approach to creating Thriving Futures with communities in Africa, Latin America, and beyond
- Excellent opportunities for professional growth and advancement
- Innovative and fun team atmosphere where everyone brings a diverse skill set to a diverse working environment
- Remote working opportunities
For more information please see the Job Post and full Legado Chief of Staff Job Description at https://www.legadoinitiative.org/join-us/.
To apply, please send:
- A cover letter expressing interest and a description of relevant experience. The cover letter should also detail why you think a Thriving Futures approach is needed to create systemic change
- A curriculum vitae
- The names and contact information of two or more references
Applications should be emailed to Leigh Schumann (email@example.com) and Majka Burhardt(firstname.lastname@example.org), October15, 2022. Applications sent only through LinkedIn or without all required materials will not be reviewed.