Searo is developing the next generation of advanced natural materials to replace plastic. The company’s technology builds on over a decade of research into sustainable material technology, yielding applications ranging from packaging to fashion, textiles and food.
Searo has assembled a world-leading implementation team to commercialise its technology. The company operates out of our labs on Cambridge Science Park and has recently established an engineering pilot facility to trial and commercialise its first products.
Founders and joint Chief Executives of Searo, Ayça and Francis, have won multiple awards in sustainable business and innovation, and are searching for a Chief of Staff to champion and execute their vision. This is a unique opportunity to become the right hand of our CEOs for strategic projects, and to lead and grow our internal strategy team.
We are seeking a highly motivated and ambitious individual to join the cockpit of Searo at a unique moment in the company’s journey as we launch our first products and expand as an organisation.
Planning, Coordination and Stakeholder-management
- Be the right hand of the CEOs: increase their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Research target markets, prepare go-to-market strategies and plans.
- Identify and approach commercial partners/customers and plan product trials, reporting progress to CEOs.
- Prepare internal and external touchpoints with stakeholders.
- Improve current processes and optimize organizational procedures for efficiency and productivity.
- Prepare and attend business-critical senior leadership meetings, document meeting notes and follow up on decisions and tasks to achieve company objectives.
- Support the company’s initial public outreach, early-stage media and marketing planning.
- Build and lead the business strategy team. Identify new talent and secure our next hires.
- Define and monitor the business strategy and run the company roadmap.
- Support fundraising and lead investor reporting.
- Drive the strategic direction as part of the Senior Leadership team.
- Identify business needs and risks as well as create and implement strategic projects for risk mitigation.
- Business degree + MBA (note, this is a non-technical role, we are not specifically seeking candidates with a scientific background and you will not be expected to contribute to technology development).
- 4+ years experience in top-tier management consulting + experience in VC or in a high-growth start-up is an advantage.
- Well-developed project-management skills and a proven track record of successfully leading and executing complex projects.
- Organized and disciplined, with a high sense of personal accountability and autonomy.
- Understanding of VC, material and food tech landscapes (understanding of FMCG industries, BioTech, R&D processes and scale-up is advantageous).
- Proven experience to motivate, steer, and develop team members towards their fullest potential.
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to make number-based decisions and develop optimal solutions.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and conflict-resolution skills, with the ability to simplify complex problems.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, proactive, results-driven, self-motivated and hands-on attitude.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and adapt to changing priorities.
- Access to own transport is a significant advantage and you may be required to travel.
- You will be required to work on site, at our labs on Cambridge Science Park, for at least 50% time.
What you can expect
- Unique experience: This is a rare opportunity to join a dynamic company pioneering solutions to tackle some of the world’s biggest problems—a chance to put your skills toward making the world a better place.
- Supporting team: You will form part of a close-knit team of leaders in their respective fields, collaborating closely and supporting one another towards common goals.
- Personal Growth: We believe that people create the most value in business and society when they are fulfilled, engaged and challenged in their role – this is why we work with you as an individual to discover how we can best apply your gifts and talents.
- Benefits: Competitive salary, company pension scheme, 28 days holiday.
Most important for us is your willingness to learn and contribute to our impact-lead mission, as part of a team. If you do not meet all of the requirements but believe you can excel in the role and our organisation, please submit a cover letter telling us why.