At Papercup we’re on a mission to make the world’s videos watchable in any language. We’ve invented a patented AI system that can generate synthetic voices across languages - each of which sound just like humans. Our translated and dubbed content has allowed the likes of BBC, Discovery, HSBC, and Canva to reach over 300 million people globally.
Having raised a $20 million Series A round last year, we’re backed by some of the industry’s heaviest hitters - venture funds like Octopus Ventures, world-renowned angel investors including Des Traynor (co-founder of Intercom) and John Collison (co-founder of Stripe), as well as global media groups like Sky and Guardian Media Group.
We are driven, curious and passionate - our company culture is imperative to us and we set a high bar for those who join the team
About the role
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced and driven leader looking to join a fast-growing deep tech start up and play a critical role in helping to amplify the impact that the CEO and leadership team will have on the company during this next critical phase. We’re at a super exciting stage - we have a $20 million Series A under our belt and are laser-focused on scaling our team, systems and solution to reach our next stage of growth. As Chief of Staff, you’ll be working directly with the CEO and functional team leads across a broad range of strategic and operational projects, acting as an essential advisor and sounding board.
What you’ll do with us:
- Serve as a strategic advisor to CEO and leadership team - with your extensive experience scaling startups, you’ll be able to act as a sounding board
- Oversee the setting and execution of companywide metrics and OKRS to ensure alignment and accountability across the company
- Lead on special projects / cross-functional initiatives as and when they arise - this could range from the roll out of a new offering to a specific customer segment through to working with our machine learning team to decide on new languages to deploy
- Work with CEO and Strategy & Ops Lead to prep for Series B fundraising in 2024
- Provide high level oversight of internal business operations while our VP Operations is out on maternity leave
- Shepherd People & Talent team for 6 months while our Head of People is on maternity leave - provide light touch support for the team in areas like 2024 planning
What you’ll need to thrive in this role:
- 10+ years professional experience, with at least 5 years spent scaling teams and operations within a fast-paced start-up. Experience either as a Senior Ops leader or Chief of Staff preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with experience working with senior executives and external stakeholders.
- Ability to self-motivate and a hunger to make an impact
- A love for metrics and data-led decision making
- Strong EQ and high levels of empathy are critical - given broad nature of the role, you’ll need to build trust and strong relationships quickly
- Fundraising experience preferred
We really care about our people - culture matters deeply to us and we are committed to building a company that people are proud to work for
We're growing fast. That means you can help grow the business from the ground up and maintain a lot of ownership
Apart from all this good stuff, what else do we offer?
- Competitive salary up to £115,000 - £130,000
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Flexible working options, 2-3 WFH
- Private medical cover or a monthly wellness bonus
- Options granted to everyone to benefit from the growth and success of the business
- The opportunity to learn - enroll in courses or conferences or take a reading week to improve your skills
- Food and fun: free snacks, Tuesday breakfasts, monthly team socials, annual offsites, the best Slack banter you can find
- Having recently raised a $20 million Series A round we are backed by leading venture capital funds and two media companies, Papercup is a machine learning startup making the world's video content watchable in any language. Using a cutting-edge AI we automatically translate and voiceover videos in multiple languages, helping enterprises, brands, and media companies reach a global audience with their existing content.