Nulixir, a nano-biotechnology start-up, is a VC-backed business-to-business (B2B) company that develops, manufactures, and licenses intellectual property (IP) for smart nanocarriers, called nanovesicles, which optimize the performance of functional ingredients in food & beverage products. Nulixir, as the Function HouseTM, is revolutionizing the functional ingredient space by introducing a realm of functionality and shaping the future of intelligent food. This patented technology (70+ patents) has applications across multiple verticals in food and beverage (e.g., nootropics, energy stimulants, vitamins, probiotics, protein, etc.).
Founded in 2019, the company brought together a team of CPG leaders, cancer researchers, US attorneys, and nutritionists to overcome long-standing challenges in the Food and Beverage Industry. The firm’s founder has extensive experience in the development of nanocarriers for cancer therapeutics.
In the past-year, Nulixir sales have grown ~8x with strong interest from small, mid-size and many large CPG companies to partner with Nulixir and incorporate the technology in their products. Nulixir boasts an impressive board of senior executives from companies like Pepsi, Danone, Mckinsey & Company, Paine Schwartz Partners, etc. The company currently has 30+ employees with a stellar executive team who come from food B2B companies such as ADM, Givaudan, Kerry, and ex-MBB consultants.
As the Chief of Staff (COS), you are basically the CEO’s right hand. The COS will play a critical role in supporting the executive leadership team and ensuring efficient execution of our startup's strategic initiatives. This role demands a dynamic individual with management consulting experience who can provide strategic insights, project management expertise, and drive cross-functional collaboration. On one end of the spectrum, you might find yourself being CEO’s Executive Assistant on steroids, while on the other end, you could be taking on the responsibilities closer to a Chief Operations Officer or Chief Strategy Officer. Your primary focus is to serve, working diligently to address the needs of the CEO and the company at large.
This person will be instrumental in developing and executing end-to-end strategy (including R&D / innovation, commercial, operations, fund-raising, etc.). The ideal candidate is a detailed problem solver with strong management, excellent communication skills, leadership and strong executive presence. You will play a critical role in not only pushing execution in the short-term but in the ideation and creation process of medium- to long-term company strategy. You will be responsible for driving alignment, clarity and accountability across the executive team. You will drive the overall operating cadence of the company and raise the standard of leadership within the organization. You will have the opportunity to chart your own path at Nulixir, growing exponentially along with company’s growth
In this role, you will directly report to the CEO.
In this critically important role, you will be responsible for:
- You are an extension of the CEO - you will be his right hand and his voice in the company
- Manage the CEO's calendar, appointments, and commitments, ensuring optimal time utilization and alignment with strategic priorities
- Provide direct support to the CEO, including prioritizing tasks, and ensuring timely follow-up on important matters
- Prepare and deliver executive-level presentations, reports, and updates
- Work closely with the CEO and executive leadership to support the formulation and execution of strategic plans, ensuring alignment with company goals and objectives
- Lead and manage key strategic projects and initiatives, from inception to completion. Coordinate and communicate project timelines, deliverables, and progress across relevant teams
- Utilize your management consulting experience to analyze data, market trends, and competitive landscape to provide insights and recommendations for strategic decision-making
- Foster collaboration between different departments to ensure effective communication and coordination. Act as a liaison between executive leadership and various teams to streamline processes and align efforts
- Identify opportunities for operational improvements, cost optimization, and streamlined processes. Implement best practices to enhance overall efficiency
- Assist in driving organizational change initiatives by ensuring smooth transitions, managing communication, and addressing potential challenges
- Collaborate with external partners, stakeholders, and clients to strengthen relationships and drive business growth
- Act as a sounding board for the CEO
- Build relationships across the organization to help move ideas forward, and fully understand the health of the business and our most valuable asset – OUR PEOPLE
- Oversee key communications and reporting across all levels of the organization to drive impactful internal and external messaging and content
- Support hiring for key roles and helping build the Sales, Marketing, R&D, Ops, and Finance teams
- Train and coach team members across the organization building their strategic thinking and business toolkit
- Determining key performance indicators and how to measure team performance
Some things we consider important for this role:
- Proven experience (4+ years) in management consulting, with a focus on strategic planning, data analysis, and project management, ideally from BCG, Bain or McKinsey
- Proven ability to manage and lead cross-functional teams and projects
- Comfortable working at both a strategic and tactical level
- Experience with B2B business
- In-depth understanding of start-up culture and mentality
- Training and knowledge of metrics and data-driven approach to managing performance and decision-making process
- Process and project management skills and experience
- Strong verbal and written communication and reporting skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Influence stakeholders across functions to ensure action on strategic findings and plans
- Ability to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Entrepreneurial and self-starter
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment and manage multiple priorities
- Self-motivated, high energy and collaborative work style
- A unique and diverse company culture, shaped by people with commitment, sense of responsibility, risk-taking and discipline
- An excellent start-up work environment, flat hierarchy, and short decision paths
- Competitive salary
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Annual Performance Bonus; and
- Stock options.
We recruit, promote, and reward based off of our five core values:
- Sleeves Up - At Nulixir, we provide the autonomy and creativity needed to own your role, iterate where needed and drive impact on a massive scale.
- 100% Transparency - Nulixir is passionate about open feedback at all levels of the company. This allows us to fail fast, create in real time and build an open company culture.
- Be Defiantly Great - We are defiant, that’s in our lifeblood, we accomplish what other people think are impossible. Challenging the status quo is our lifeblood.
- Unconditional Empathy - Our customers are real people with real business needs, and we are here to listen and tackle accordingly. If we care and respect each other, there is no challenge we can’t overcome.
- Be the solution, not just the critic - take ownership and drive collaboration. We work together and we build together.
If you are a strategic thinker with a background in management consulting and are passionate about contributing to the growth of an innovative startup with a billion-dollar vision, we encourage you to apply. Being a Chief of Staff at Nulixir is a unique and rewarding experience. It requires adaptability, exceptional communication skills, and a knack for strategic thinking. You must be comfortable operating in ambiguity, embracing the ever-changing nature of a growing organization. By mastering the art of serving and acting as the CEO’s right hand, you will have a significant impact on the company's growth trajectory and help shape its path to success. Join us in our mission to reshape the ingredient manufacturing landscape and make a lasting impact on industries worldwide.