DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
- Currently living in Michigan
- High volume manufacturing with high variability of product
- 8-10 years Senior Management
The Company: Confidential
Our client seeks an experienced operations leader with a “winning” mentality that will play an integral part in building foundational structures to support production manufacturing capabilities. They will guide the company’s transformation by taking a hands-on role in implementing standardized operating processes and systems. The Director of Operations will be responsible for the management and day-to-day Plant Operations. The successful candidate must have a stellar work ethic, engineering mind and be extremely hands-on; possessing the ability to integrate & manage cross functional teams. An ideal background will be weighted heavily in manufacturing operations and process engineering for to high volume (high variability of product) manufacturing, machining, and/or precision engineering industries. This is a family-based culture, with strong emphasis on hard-work, productivity, integrity, and honesty. Must be a take-charge, high-energy leader who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is capable of creating and managing operational processes and teams to ensure this organization’s continued success and growth for many years to come.
This position reports to the Executive Team and has six (6) direct reports.
- Organize and manage the Plant Operation/Production Teams to get things done, while using them effectively and efficiently. Set clear expectations, design practical processes and procedures that ensure accountability.
- Resourceful, figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality, with a track record of creating successful organizations without the resources and reputation of a large entity.
- Proven track record of leading and setting a course when there is no roadmap and much ambiguity.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Passionate about coaching and training plant personal. Effective at setting, evaluating and inspiring individual and team goals that develop people to promote a positive “get-it-done” culture.
- Strategic thinker; partnering with the Executive Team; plan, direct, and manage the entire operation, ensuring the development and implementation of efficient operational processes to meet current and future business requirements.
- Establish and implement short and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures for the entire operations/production teams.
- Create and implement initiatives that drive optimization and improvements in the performance of the overall operations input, throughputs and outputs; focused production planning, scheduling, and execution.
- Provide direction, development, and leadership for all operational departments; ensure team members role and responsibilities are clear and understood.
- Develop an operational strategy and underlying objectives; define the production schedule and through-put for the shopfloor.
- Partner with “Master Scheduler” to ensure coordination/linking of all schedules and inventories are efficient, effective and optimized.
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of ERP system information.
- Energize and engage employees through their managers by ensuring they understand and can execute on the operational fulfillment goals.
- Must be able to communicate job expectations internally; plan, monitor, appraise, and review job contributions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Monitor and follow-up on project/departmental performance to ensure that progress is being made.
- Encourage open communication at all levels within the company. Engagement with customer base.
- Take charge self-starter in high-priority crises; supreme creative problem-solving skills.
- Maintain effective communication with internal and external business operations to solve problems in an efficient and effective manner.
- Set and follow-up on operational and / or performance goals for each department which are aggressive, achievable, and tied to long-term goals.
- Track and measure productivity by analyzing performance data, financial data, and activity reports; follow-up on operational/production performance goals/KPIs for each department.
- Maintain an operational atmosphere of accountability.
- Collaborate with purchasing department to verify, review, maintain, and report on materials and production inventories. Oversee the shipping and receiving functions.
- Ensure all department heads are fully informed of operational objectives.
- Conduct regular meetings with department heads to ensure that priorities are clear and coordination is good.
- Solve any inter departmental issues that arise before any problems hamper the daily operations. Facilitate conflict resolution to ensure objective fulfillment and swift response to job site problems and opportunities.
- Devise and implement operating procedures/controls to improve the efficiency of the overall operation.
- Ensure the operations team has the necessary resources to effectively meet short and long-term goals.
- Establish and adjust organizational structure so that it supports the business’s objectives.
- As the key point (face) of management to employees, have good relations and represent management with encouragement and professionalism.
- 8 – 10 years of senior management experience including running an organization from the shopfloor.
- Proven track record as Director of Operations, General Manager, Director of Manufacturing or Plant Manager.
- Must have high volume manufacturing with high variability of product.
- Strong work ethic; e.g., “roll-up your sleeves” leader; a proactive team leader with a proven “take-charge” record of accomplishment.
- “Own it” mentality, high energy, proactive team player with a contagious desire that inspires the team toward shared goals and purpose.
- Strongly demonstrated leadership and communication skills involving employees, customers and peers.
- Highly organized, committed and analytical thinker who is used to substantial autonomy while ensuring that the Executive Team are dialed in.
- Must be articulate, resourceful, and focused. One who exhibits patience, perseverance, and persuasiveness.
- Solid understanding of regulatory requirements for operating plants.
- Strong understanding and experience with standard cost accounting is highly preferred.
- Knowledgeable of safety, quality, productivity, demand planning, inventory and resource allocation processes.
- Lean manufacturing; understanding of Toyota Production System.
- Minimal travel required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering, finance, or management required. MBA highly preferred; or equivalent experience.