Major League Baseball is seeking a Manager to join its Strategy team. Strategy is part of MLB’s Strategy & Development group, a centralized resource within Baseball’s Office of the Commissioner that works cross-functionally to develop and execute strategies to grow baseball globally.
MLB is hiring a Manager, Strategy to support our centralized strategy function. This position will report directly to the Director, Strategy, and will focus on building and evaluating growth strategies for the Office of the Commissioner, Clubs, and the League that address some of the most critical opportunities facing the industry today. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker equipped to navigate the evolving Sports, Media, and Entertainment landscape, and will bring a strong set of analytical and communication skills, a structured strategy toolkit, and a low-ego roll-up-your-sleeves approach to a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-3+ years of experience working in strategic consulting at a top firm – alternately, experience in investment banking, private equity, internal corporate strategy, or similar analytically-intensive industry
- Experience in the Sports and/or Media & Entertainment industries a plus
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical ability
- Strong strategic problem-solving skills with ability to prioritize issues and analysis
- Expert-level capabilities in both Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong planning and communication – ability to manage competing priorities, work in a fast-paced environment, and communicate to Senior Executives on a regular basis
- Proven ability to work independently, usually within a sophisticated and often ambiguous environment, to build rigorous fact-bases that support recommendations to company management
- Unique ability to balance analytical rigor with a bias for action - ability to draw on structures from the consulting / strategy toolkit, with a predisposition to produce fast, practical recommendations
- High clock-speed - ability to rapidly get to an '80/20' answer, and comfort tailoring the analytical approach as necessary given project timelines
- Ability to effectively collaborate is essential to fit MLB’s culture and this role – understanding how to bring interconnected pieces together and optimize workflows, commonly working across multiple departments at various levels within the organization
- Openness to an environment of active developmental feedback and mentoring from peers and managers, with a desire to learn and grow rapidly
- Flexible work schedule based on business needs; minimal travel as needed
- Low-ego – equally comfortable giving or receiving direction, leading or contributing as appropriate, driving conversations or supporting as necessary
- High EQ and strong interpersonal skills – strong ability to 'read the room', adjust approach and communication style as appropriate
- Work with the Strategy team to execute and implement strategy projects aimed at charting the future course of the Industry (e.g., content distribution, ticketing strategies, global growth)
- Support 'internal-consulting' projects that explore, evaluate, and recommend strategies and tactics to support MLB’s priorities across Clubs, League functions & verticals, the Office of the Commissioner
- Perform detailed quantitative (e.g., market analysis, consumer trends, economic conditions, etc.) and qualitative (e.g., case studies, driven strategies, winning applications, etc.) analyses to pinpoint appropriate recommendations and support long-term growth initiatives
- Effectively build relationships and collaborate with team members across multiple lines of business and functional departments (e.g., Media, International, Marketing) to identify high potential growth areas, source data / resources, and align business / functional strategies
- Serve as a strategic resource to Clubs via the Club Services function within Strategy & Development and in partnership with functional experts from League verticals
- Support Corporate Development activities as necessary, including developing analyses of new markets, investment diligence, etc.
- Take ownership of presentation development for League and Club executive leadership, including communications on key market trends and strategic implications for the industry
- Define methodologies to support senior-level strategic and operational decisions; develop analytical approaches to transform information into thoughtful, actionable insights
- Share ownership of MLB Strategy & Development’s operational tools and repositories
- Conduct ad-hoc projects for senior management
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of growth, teamwork, and professionalism. Employees who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify problems and provide solutions, and always put the Team first. For those ready to step up to the plate and join the Major Leagues, MLB takes the same approach as teams do with their players: empowering our “workforce athletes” to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are passionate about growing America’s pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB’s vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment. With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
Major League Baseball is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Per the NYC pay transparency law, the hiring range for this position is $90,000-$120,000.
As a candidate for this position, your salary and related elements of compensation will be contingent upon your work experience, education, skills and any other factors Major League Baseball (MLB) considers relevant to the hiring decision. In addition to your salary, MLB believes in providing a competitive compensation and benefits package for its employees. MLB offers employees a full range of best in class benefits with no employee contributions towards medical, dental, and vision coverage premiums, as well as incentive and recognition programs, life insurance and automatic employer 401k contributions. All benefits are subject to eligibility requirements and the terms of official plan documents which may be modified or amended from time to time.